On 24 November, Sonny Patel, lawyer at Expatriate Law, spoke to an audience of professional advisors at the 2nd Annual Optimal Successions conference in Dubai about the use of pre-nuptial agreements as a succession planning tool, and to protect assets during divorce.
Sonny discussed the following issues:
- For expats of various nationalities divorce can take place in their ‘home jurisdiction’ despite their residence abroad
- Forum shopping for the most favourable jurisdiction for a divorce
- How prenuptial agreements can protect pre-acquired assets and inheritances by defining what should constitute a “matrimonial asset”
- The requirements in various countries to ensure that a pre-nuptial agreement is upheld
- How to protect the interests of the less wealthy party in a pre-nuptial agreement negotiation
For further information or advice on pre-nuptial agreements contact firstname.lastname@example.org