Divorce through the English courts
Many British expats that we advise do not realize that they are able to divorce in the UK using the English courts, even whilst residing abroad. In the majority of cases, a British expat divorce through the English courts would not require either spouse to travel back to England. Our experienced lawyers will carry out the divorce in the UK on your behalf, advising you at each step, to ensure that you and your spouse can move on as soon as possible.
An uncontested expat divorce in the UK can be undertaken within 5 months (the same as if you were living in England). We offer a range of divorce services, from a DIY divorce package (from £270/ $410 / 1600AED), fixed fee full service divorce (from £1750/ $2600/ 10,000AED), jurisdiction strategy consultation to representation within defended proceedings or a forum dispute.
Divorce in the UK
It is important to remember that the UK is made up of several different legal systems, which are:
- England and Wales (same legal system)
- Northern Ireland
The jurisdiction for divorce and divorce laws are not the same within these three UK legal systems, so no lawyer will be a specialist in ‘UK law’.
Expat divorce in England and Wales:
You may divorce in England if:
- You and your spouse are habitually resident in England or Wales
- You or your spouse lived in England or Wales and one of you still live there
- You wish to commence the divorce and your spouse lives in England or Wales
- You wish to commence the divorce and you have lived in England or Wales for 1 year
- You wish to commence the divorce and you have lived in England or Wales for 6 months, and you are domiciled in England or Wales
- You and your spouse are both domiciled in England or Wales
- Either you OR your spouse are domiciled in England or Wales, and no other EU country has jurisdiction under 1-6 above.
NOTE: if you are using number 7 above as your jurisdiction option for divorcing in England, there may be restrictions on your financial claims.